Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Cichlids Get Two New Tankmates

Hey now, set up the 125 gallon tank I received from a guy who had a snake in it. But it holds water just fine.
So here is the before and after. I don't usually take the cabinets unless I have room for it. So I just modify and/or construct my own to fit the space.








 Here as you can see I used a Trader Joe's recycled cabinet and it works just fine. Especially after adding 3 large cinder blocks between it and the wood directly under the tank. You can easily see how the board is necessary to be able to sustain such a great weight. Then it also allows me to place my tools and food close for easy access.

I also painted the whole kitchen bright yellow as you can see and the fish get a tank with a view of the backyard. I get almost no algae buildup that I can see.
I do not like bending over to view my fish. Some like it hot, some cold. I like it so I can stand and view the fish. I can always sit and view so then I am looking up depending on the chair. You might want to think about tank placement before you place it; moving issues later can be more problematic. I am staining and sealing two more cabinets before I even bring them into the house. Here's one reinforced with black enamel first:





Got an under gravel filter powered by an Aqua Clear 70 Power Head Pump shown here. And the pipe through which it pumps water.
















I also employ the Emperor 400 which I really find efficient to the max for the power it draws. Easy to clean and always keep a spare impeller in addition to the regular media it comes with and replacement types.With and without the top of course.

I love these Oscars as I do all my fish and just rescued a red tailed catfish





 from a guy that was downsizing and moving. So this huge catfish had to be relocated or rehomed as a Craigslist afficiondo will know in a wink. They are all about their rehoming attitudes there just look. Some more honest with it than others. So I drove over there and got busy with moving a large catfish that most people can't or won't accommodate. Just like kids I guess: Feed them and take good care of them and they grow. Then you can't get rid of them.


So here you see the Oscars taking notice of their two new friends. I have a Pacu that was biting other fish in another tank. But he got checked in once I placed him with the Oscar pack.
Then comes big daddy cat and here are shots of him (see top). He was quite the model and poser for these and seems to love the camera, who knew?

So then I was feeding them whole shrimp for the sake of the catfish that was swallowing them whole and lo and behold the smallest Oscar of the bunch the almost albino one takes a hold of a whole shrimp. So now I call him 'PIG'. They are all my buds though and they surely recognize me whenever I come to the glass.


No comments:

Post a Comment